Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Music Galore

So, for those who don't already know, and happen to be reading this (I don't expect that to be many of you), I am a music addict. I buy CDs like they're crack, and I can't seem to go a week without buying at least one new one. In the last 10 days, I've bought 5. I know this seems like a problem, but really, they're all justified. The first of the five that I purchased was Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain. I'd been searching for this album for weeks, as it's import only, and when I finally came upon it, I felt like it was impossible to say no.
Second, later that night, I bought Rogue Wave's Out of the Shadow after seeing them open for AC Newman. This was not an impulse buy, it was simply an album that I'd been considering for a while and seeing them pushed me over the edge into must-buy territory.
After letting a week go by without any new CDs, I ventured down to Charlottesville this weekend and had to stop by Plan 9. I have newfound respect for stores like this as these days they are few and far between. I have not been able to find an independent music store in northern Virginia, and I wouldn't be surprised if one did not exist at all. But anyway, I felt compelled to support them, and went in planning to buy one, or maybe two CDs. After seeing the Polyphonic Spree last week, I had to buy their newest CD, and I knew it was just a matter of time before I bought Together We're Heavy, so I figured now was as good a time as ever. Walking to the register, I happened to see M83's Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts, an album that had made many critics' Best of 2003 lists, but had only been available as Import-Only until a few weeks ago. I had remembered being intrigued by these guys, and so I took it back to listen to it. After hearing the amazing My Bloody Valentine-meets-Air sound that these guys pull off so brilliantly, I had to buy it as well. Now the last one was something of an impulse buy, and that was Morrissey's Viva Hate, which I sought out to find the price of. When I found it at a reasonable $11.99, how could I say no? You tell me, because I couldn't, it was impossible.
And that, my friends, is how a junkie justifies his habit. To you, these purchases may seem extraneous and unnecessary, but to me, it's just a part of life. I can't live without new music all the time, but at some point, I really need to sit down and appreciate what I already have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home