Friday, March 18, 2005

Daft Punk - Human After All

This is not going to be a full review, as I do not yet own the album, but I just streamed it off of NME's site, here's the link in case you're interested: http://www.nme.com/features/

Well, it pains me to say this, but it looks like the early reports were correct. As I sit here listening to "Technologic," I can only think of it as an inferior version of Discovery's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger." Never did I think that I'd ever be bored with a Daft Punk album, but that is exactly what I've just experienced. Gone are the lyrics and pop melodies that made Discovery such a perfect album , as are the innovative beats and the freshness that Homework brought us all the way back in 1997. The sound is more along the lines of Homework, as Human After All is largely made of instrumental tracks with repeated, computerized vocals, but frankly, it just sounds like it was shoddily done.

The album may be Daft Punk's weakest work to date, but it does have a couple of bright spots. Single "Robot Rock" follows the formula of "Around the World" with a catchy synth line driving the song and "Rock, Robot Rock" chanted over and over, but a song like this would not stand out on another Daft Punk album, it would just fit right in. "The Brainwasher" turns up the volume for a very aggressive 4 minutes, and the album closer, "Emotion" tries to make you forget about what you just heard. Unfortunately, I did forget, even listening to it through twice, I couldn't tell you the hooks to more than a couple of songs. It's very rare when I'm at a loss for words about an album, but this is one of those times, usually I'd just rant on and on here, but not today. I'm just so disappointed and I know this band can do so much better than this, there are two full albums worth of evidence. I hope this is just a little bump in the road, but my advice for Daft Punk would be to get in the studio now and not to come out until they have something brilliant to release, and it better be within the next year or so. If the follow up to Human After All takes the requisite four years a Daft Punk album typically takes, we may all forget the greatness that once was Daft Punk.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheap fan....

Remember what daft punk is about....

I just hated it being played in mtv and radio stations..

DAFT is DAFT... not the romanthony you love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home