Monday, March 07, 2005

New Albums Coming Soon

I've got some reviews in the works, and I'd like to reflect back on 2000 and 2001, but I thought I'd first comment on some new albums from some longtime favorites that will be hitting stores over the next few months. Lots of classic bands will be releasing new material this spring and summer, so here are my predictions for how these albums will turn out.

Daft Punk - Human After All (March 15th) - Early reports on this album are that it isn't as strong as 2001's Discovery and that it finds DP moving away from electronic music on some songs. Still, I will buy it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but from the buzz I'm hearing this might be the weakest Daft Punk release to date.

Beck - Guero (March 29th) - Honestly, does Beck ever release a bad album? I can't think of one, and I expect this album, which is a supposed return to the sound of Odelay, to fall right into place in the excellent Beck catalogue. I'm glad to see that Beck is rocking again, Sea Change was good, but sooooo sad.

New Order - Waiting for the Sirens' Call (April 12th) - I can't really say what I expect here, the band is more relevant now than they've been in 20 years, but can they make a great album so many years after their 80's masterpieces? I think it'll be another album like 2001's Get Ready, a solid effort, but not one to go down in history. Early word is that it's quite diverse with "something for everyone."

Weezer - Make Believe (May 10th) - According to many, Weezer hasn't made a great album since 1996's Pinkerton, but I happened to like Maladroit a lot. Regardless, it's been 3 years since we've had any new Weezer, and at the rate that Rivers Cuomo writes songs, he has to have written over 100 to choose from for this album. For that reason alone, I have a feeling that this album could be truly great, I think this Weezer album trumps the last two efforts and puts the Weez right back on the map.

Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth (May 31st) - Okay, now here's a band that really has fallen from grace, 2002's Heathen Chemistry was a forgettable joke of an album and their last great record was released ten years ago. So can Oasis get back on the horse? Honestly, I think Noel Gallagher has lost something as a songwriter (could drugs possibly be to blame here?), but they seem so determined to become a musical superpower once again that there is a chance that this album could be something special. It won't touch Morning Glory or Definitely Maybe, but it could be their best album since the mid-90s.

Coldplay - X&Y (June 7th) - This album recently was bumped from late March to June for unspecified reasons, but that is never a good sign. No one thought they could follow-up Parachutes, but 2002's Rush of Blood to the Head buried the "sophomore jinx" that everyone expected. Now they have to follow up a giant commercial success instead of just a great brit-pop album. I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that Chris Martin crumbles under the pressure, it'll be the weakest Coldplay album yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home