Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Bands Reunited

First off, I'm going to try to update this blog more often from here on out, hopefully twice a week at minimum.

On a completely unrelated note, I was hanging out at home on Saturday afternoon, flipping through the channels when I came across MTV/VH1's coverage of Live 8, which was actually quite good and non-MTVish. (By the way, I in no way advocate watching MTV except for Subterranean on MTV2, and okay, maybe the Real World: Austin, and damn, alright Laguna Beach is addictive as hell, but that is it, nothing else on MTV is worth watching). They were showing a couple songs from whatever band was on at the time, The Who, Stevie Wonder, Destiny's Child (I thought they broke up, but oh well), but one performance really caught my attention and almost brought me to tears. I had changed channels, and I flipped back to hear "Breathe" by one of my all-time favorite bands, Pink Floyd who were playing together with Roger Waters for the first time in over 20 years. They continued on to play "Money" and "Comfortably Numb" before Roger Waters addressed the crowd, saying how happy he was to be up there with the band again after all this time, and damn, he looked genuinely happy to be there. They then launched into a heartwrenching rendition of "Wish You Were Here," which got me all choked up and brought me back to being 17 all over again. I loved this music in high school, but I think I respect on a different level these days, it truly is timeless.

So with Pink Floyd apparently back together, hopefully long enough to tour the US, it got me thinking about what bands I'd like to see reunite that could feasibly do it (ie not have any key members who are no longer living like The Beatles or The Doors). After all, reunions are the new hotness, with Gang of Four, the Pixies and others reuniting after decades apart. Even the Smashing Pumpkins, who haven't been broken up 5 years are talking about getting back together, not that I'm complaining. Here are my top 5 bands that I would love to see live if they reunited, some of which I would give body parts to see.

1) The Smiths - Honestly it would just have to be Morrissey and Johnny Marr for me to be truly happy. Andy Rourke was an excellent bassist, but he's been quoted saying that he'll never play with Morrissey again, so I'm not sure we can expect him back. Still, seeing Morrissey, Marr and Mike Joyce on stage together playing Smiths's songs for 2 hours would be a mindblowing experience.

2) Pink Floyd - I've said pretty much everything I need to say up above, but until I hear otherwise, their Live 8 performance was just a one-time deal. Please Roger, Richard, David and Nick, listen up, tour the US, and more importantly come to DC, though I'll travel if I must.

3) Talking Heads - It's been 14 years since they disbanded, but their music is more relevant now than it's been since the early 80s. David Byrne, Jerry Harrison, Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth are all still very much involved with music so it's not out of the realm of possibility. I feel like there still may be some animosity between the other band members and David Byrne, but come on guys, it's been a long time, bury the hatchet and entertain me.

4) Smashing Pumpkins - This one is not as dire as the top 3, as I saw them on the Mellon Collie tour back in 1996, but I would cough up a lot of money to see them again. Billy has said that a reunion is in the works, but he's crazy so I'll believe that when I see it. Plus, what does a reunion of the Pumpkins mean? Is it just he and Jimmy Chamberlin, or is it the whole band? Personally, I think I could settle for Billy and Jimmy playing Pumpkins songs, but I'd like to see D'Arcy and Iha join the fray as well.

5) The Verve - In the summer of 1998 The Verve came to Denver with opening act Massive Attack. At that point in time, The Verve were just the "Bittersweet Symphony" band to me, and I had no idea who Massive Attack were. Not a day goes by where I don't regret missing that show because The Verve broke up less than a year later and I don't think Massive Attack has played in the US since. This reunion makes total sense as Richard Ashcroft hasn't even come close to the success that the Verve had, and he needs Nick McCabe's guitar playing and songwriting. C'mon guys, Brit-rock is back, the time is now.

3 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger yo mamma said...

I definetly agree with you about the glory that would be a Smiths reunion. There has not been an important moment in my life that has not been intrinsically linked to a Smiths beat.

As for MTV/VH1's coverage there was too much talk and too little music. And when they would recap it would be all Madonna and Destiny's Child - no great music from bands popular outside of the US. Bjork, Pete Dougherty et al were cast aside for Simple Plan and Good Charlotte.

As reunions go what are your thoughts about Crosby Stills and Nash playing together now?

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Kristen said...

Re: The Smiths; Read the book "How Soon is Never", about this guy's (fictional) quest to reunite the Smiths. Author is Marc Spitz (maybe a former Spin writer? Something like that.)

 
At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Kristen said...

Also, my #1 reunion would VERY much be the Talking Heads. I got into them maybe a year and a half ago, and JUST CAN'T STOP.

On a another note, Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth (married in real life) have still toured a little bit as Tom Tom Club... they live somewhere in Connecticut and somewhat recently played around there. So, it looks like they are still having fun touring, so maybe they would be up for a renunion?

Anecdotally, Chris and Tina have frequented Guitar Center (store) in Orange, CT, where my stepdad managed the guitar section. He sold them an awesome guitar for their son!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home