Wednesday, January 04, 2006

First Post of 2006

Nothing much to say music-wise today, but I figured I'd come on briefly and discuss plans for the upcoming year. I should be posting more often, so expect more album and concert reviews as well as random thoughts that I may have about the state of music at that particular time. I'm also hoping to be able to start streaming music through the site, so that readers can hear the music that I'm talking about instead of just having to read my sad attempts to describe it. I'm also working on starting a new blog, howsoonisnowproductions.blogspot.com, which will document the progress of the dance parties we've been putting on at the Satellite Ballroom in Charlottesville. I'm hoping to branch out and start DJing at some more venues, hopefully closer to DC. The blog will contain playlists and announcements of upcoming events.

In other news, the new Strokes album is not very good, a bit disappointing, but their time seems to have kinda passed anyway. The Strokes were something that we desperately needed in 2001, but four and a half years later, there are thousands of other bands that sound just like them and they have not done enough since to separate themselves from those other groups. First Impressions of Earth is not a bad album, but it's just very average, a few good songs but nothing groundbreaking, but I don't really expect The Strokes to be breaking new ground these days. Suffice it to say, they're just not relevant anymore. So I would like to thank The Strokes for one amazing album (Is This It?) and one pretty good one (Room on Fire), but the holiday is over. Thanks for the memories guys, I'll always thank you for bringing rock back into the popular music lexicon.

There are some other new albums coming out in the next few months, hopefully these will not be as disappointing:

Love Is All - Nine Times That Same Song - January 24th, 2006
Tortoise & Bonnie Prince Billy - The Brave and the Bold - January 24th, 2006
Jenny Lewis (of Rilo Kiley) - Rabbit Fur Coat - January 24th, 2006
Cat Power - The Greatest - January 24th, 2006
Robert Pollard (of Guided By Voices) - From a Compound Eye - January 24th, 2006
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit - February 7th, 2006
Liars - Drum's Not Dead - February 21st, 2006
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am That's What I Am Not - February 21st, 2006
Mogwai - Mr. Beast - March 7th, 2006
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood - March 7th, 2006
Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors - March 21st, 2006
Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics - April 4th, 2006
Grandaddy - Just Like the Fambly Cat - April 4th, 2006
Tortoise - R, R, C - April 11th, 2006
Radiohead - New Album - Spring/Summer, 2006
The Shins - New Album - Summer, 2006

1 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Hey Pretty said...

So sad about the Strokes. I'm still not over my bitter disapointment in their last album.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home